You are here
The original village of Flaunden was located on the banks of the river Chess between Latimer and Chenies about one and a half miles away from the present village. Records are vague but there are signs of settlement in the Chess Valley in Roman times.
The Domesday Book does not mention Flaunden but it does provide a picture of what the area might have looked like at that time – mainly wilderness but with watermills along the river Chess. In the latter part of the 1200s a manor of Flaunden was held as a separate entity by a Nicholas de Flaunden – the manor was later granted to his son Thomas who improved it and named it after him and it became a village.
In the 18th century the village of Flaunden slowly began to decline on the banks of the Chess and expand at the top of the hill – the reason for this is unclear but it is thought a combination of the plague from rags carrying the disease brought to Chesham for making paper and flooding from the river was the main cause.
The movement uphill was accelerated by the building of a new church there in 1838 and by the end of the 19th century only two cottages and an orchard remained in occupation on the original site. The old village is now lost under the grass.
And now the village of Flaunden flourishes.